Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Warning: I bailed on the "fun graphs." Here is the Geek Report on the Everyday Bliss Game

HIATUS - a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc

OK. This post is taking FOREVER because I keep hoping for some kind of Eureka Moment. After nine months of keeping my weekly scores, I thought some sort of epiphany was awaiting me. Truth is I wanted some sort of proof that my experiment was working.  What ever that really means! 


Each week I give myself a "gut check" of sorts and then give myself a grade on my 10 point scale. I've been doing this since I started my game and have secretly been convinced that this vaguely scientific approach would prove a dramatic increase in Bliss.  If I tally the numbers from each cycle through the virtues I do get an increase in the overall number but each and every Virtue is behaving in unique ways.


My romance score has decreased even as I am able to call on more romantic ideas then ever before. Moxie is the only virtue that has followed a consistant upward trend but seeing that makes me a bit worried for the week upcoming! After scoring an 8 how much further can I go? It seems inevitable that I won't be able to keep the momentum indefinitely.


(Formatting be damned! I'm posting this chart in a GIANT size so you can actually read the numbers if you are interested. I hope it isn't too annoying!)
Photobucket
The Score Sheet

I'm starting to see the value in Ben Franklin's single point system. When he evaluated all his virtues, on a daily and not just weekly basis, he gave himself a "mark" if he caught himself not following the virtue. His game was to arrive at a point in time when he would be "mark free" entirely and therefore arrive at "virtuous living."  Not that he ever attained or really expected to do so... in time however he had fewer blemishes on his daily record so he could feel he was making progress in his pursuit.


My system is inherently flawed. "Gut Checks" have no scientific basis. They are at the effect of my changing mood and can vary widely just based on how well I ate prior to making the determination. (When I'm NOT hungry I tend to be more generous towards myself!) Ben's system is really a lot more scientific because one could determine if gratitude was there or not -- in fact an astute observer could make the determination -- but making a evaluation of "how much" gratitude requires measurement tools just not available to human beings at this time.


Bottom line, what I have been doing has been entertaining, for me at least, but really doesn't measure what participating in my Everyday Bliss project has done for me. I  do plan to finish out the year doing my gut check evaluations at the conclusion of each week but instead of believing it is any way a scientific tally I will use them as the amusing side note they are... for even if my scores ARE quite arbitrary I am still curious to see if I can ever feel good enough about my weekly participation to award a perfect 10!!


I think I'll also start a Ben Franklin style daily review.  But I'll save that discussion for another time!


SO did my quasi-statistical ramblings bore you to tears? I promise I'll be back to regular style posts tomorrow!! Thanks for sticking with me! 


Next Post: Musings on Faith

My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week it is Hiatus week and after that
 the series begins again with Joy.

3 comments:

  1. No, it didn't bore me! It's good to see how you are doing. Plus, this truly gives validity to what you are doing. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool and interesting blog idea -- creating bliss every day and blogging your way through it. :) So nice to meet you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this--what a great project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails