Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Walk lightly upon the earth -- Humility week begins

HUMILITY - The quality or condition of being humble; imitate Jesus and Socrates.

I was over at the Spirituality and Practice website getting some inspiration for my foray into Humility this week and I read the following.
Walk lightly upon the earth. The words "humility" and "human" both come from "humus" or earth. With humility, we accept our place as one among many others. When we recognize that we are no more important than those others, we take no more than our small share. We approach even the most menial tasks joyfully. We accept that we are only here to be of service to God's great creation.
I LOVE this! Getting to the root of words is always so enlightening. Thinking of  humanity, humility and the earth all coming from the same root meaning really helps me to grasp them all.   Humility has previously felt so lofty, something only great men like Jesus and Socrates could ever fully attain. I know this is in complete opposition to what either of them were teaching but their legendary ability to live this virtue always made it seem supernatural to me. Kind of like a super power. If you are Jesus you can wield this one, but mere mortals you are destined to struggle with this! 



I find it easy to think of myself as a part of the earth with no more or less importance then anything else. Starting from the earth, and returning to the earth when greed or pride rear their head can put me in my place pretty quickly. The earth offers her gifts freely to everyone without regard of social standing. My path to humility is to follow her lead. Take no more then I need and do my best to share and be of service whenever I can. It isn't lofty at all. It is actually pretty simple.



 This week's "Bliss Initiatives" are color coded in purple for quick identification. They are specific things that you too can try, if you want to play along with me. However, because as Earl Nightingale says, "you become what you think about," even if you only follow along, and never take on any of the bliss initiatives, I expect some positive results. I will be exploring and encouraging HUMILITY this way:





  • Study Humility - I will take my usual trip around the ether and see what inspiring things I can find about humility and I'll share what I find here.  If you are playing along take your own tour and please share your insights on the Everyday Bliss Facebook page or on the blog in the comments.
  • Practice Kindness Anonymously - Each day, make a point of doing something kind, without taking any credit. This can be in the form of an anonymous donation to a charity or a kind deed.
  • Give Up Trying to Change Other People - If your husband leaves the cap off the toothpaste just put it on without berating him. If your mom insists on bringing food even when you asked her not to, say thank you and resist the urge to complain. Pass over the mistakes of others and accept being slighted, forgotten, and disliked.  Let's give up trying to force our will upon others (even when we know it would be good for them!)
  • Second Guess Yourself (this great idea is from Be Inspired Everyday) - Today, second guess something that you believe you know to be true. Ask what other people believe about that idea. Then, ask God for clarification and take time to silently meditate on that belief. You may find that you will gain a new and refreshing view or you may further solidify your belief. Either way, wisdom and humility will be gained.

How will you practice humility this week?

Next post: Coming a bit later today a gratitude Giveaway!





My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are studying Humility. Next week it is Surprise.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I will try my best to keep these in mind. I especially agree with stop trying to change people. Sometimes we just need to bite our tongues and accept others for who they are. Visiting from the Lady Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet again, perfect timing. Oddly, I just wrote about humilty (in my journal)...my challenge is to practice being humble without apologizing. (I say, "I'm sorry" probably dozens of times every day...it is not being humble, but self-defacing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for some enlightment in any form today and "humility" was the winner. What a thoughtful post. It really got me thinking about myself and how I need a lot of humility taking the lead in my life.
    Humbling ourselves and trying to work on our own weaknesses could most likely help us to embrace the virtue Humility because we definitely can not change others or force them to fix their weaknesses.
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely food for thought. I have to think about this one, and I'll need to read more throughout the week. I ALWAYS second guess myself, so I might already be filled to the brim with humility! Sometimes, second guessing yourself can be a bad thing, however. Depends on the situation. Sometimes it can be for the better and sometimes it can turn out not so well. I've given up long ago on trying to change people - because you never can. People need to want to change themselves. And it's not because they wish to do it for someone else but they must want to do it for themselves and no one else. Gee, for someone who doesn't know what to think - I've said plenty! LOL Sorry if I'm kind of all over the place here. Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails