Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Balancing without practice

HIATUS - a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc.

I very deliberately chose NOT to blog yesterday. Since starting this Everyday Game and this blog, Mondays are the day that I frame my entire week. Sometimes I give enormous consideration prior to the week starting and sometimes I end up just sort of winging it but starting every week  with a focus has been what I have done. Yesterday I wanted to see what would unfold without this practice and I am here to report it was a crazy ride!


First of all, during the morning hours prior to my daughter's waking, when I usually compose my post, I had coffee and sat with my Sweetie. He seemed to sense he was more welcome then usual when I am eager to "get at it" because he was definitely much slower getting to his usual routine. It was lovely. I didn't tell him what I was doing so I found it particularly interesting that who I was being in the moment  must have landed as much more inviting then I usually am.  Note to self: try to be more available even when you are eager to get to work. The real people in your life will enjoy that!


After hubby heard the voice of his work calling and I was left alone with my coffee I decided to hop around and read some blogs and other things for which I don't always have time. It really is daunting how much really great stuff is out there and also how much nonsense is also lurking. Given my penchant for inquiry, I can easily spend  hours or any spare minute surfing and finding things that interest me. Problem is I really don't have much more bandwidth to add anything more. If I find another great blog this means I have to give up one I am already reading. Sadly, flip offs do not induce the earth to give me more hours in my day. I assume there will always be a waxing and waning of interest in things but  balancing it is a conundrum. 


It is about balance. From Cara's blog.


Later when Sweets and I were ready to leave for our favorite weekly playdate at the park, the car would not start. I thought  perhaps the girl had flicked a light on and we were experiencing another bout of battery Car-ma. I would later learn that the starter had died and no amount of "jumping" (figurative, mechanical, or physical) was going to bring the car back to life. Hot off my week of Surprise I remembered one of my Bliss Initiatives: Use "bad" surprises as a prompt for creativity. Look for the silver lining in the things that you don't like and be surprised by your ability to adapt!


Well there was one question answered. I could still call on the tools of my virtues even when I wasn't expressly studying them! The Bliss was available but could I actually summon the power?


I realize it is kind of the luck of the draw which virtue I am exploring at any given moment. If I had been fresh off order or possibly moxie what initiatives might have helped me through my situation? Surprise was close but as I think about it, if I hadn't just finished that week I don't know if I would have thought of looking for the silver lining in our car annoyance. Any of my virtues could offer the needed solace and initiative but  I require ongoing reminders to access their power. If I were to be on hiatus for a month or more I don't believe I would have such ready access.


To be honest I felt a bit lost the entire day. The girl and I made it a "home day" (which she asks for pretty regularly) and we played games and did crafts together but something was missing for me. Some people read a passage from the Bible or other inspirational book, others meditate or exercise to get their grounding for the day. I concentrate on one of my virtues and today, without doing so I was adrift. I'm still curious to see what happens as the week continues but I feel pretty certain I'll be relieved to get to Joy week!


Do you start your morning with a practice or habit that grounds your day?

Next post: Some numbers I've wanted to share

My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.




This week it is Hiatus week and after that
 the series begins again with Joy.

2 comments:

  1. When I'm at the beach, I start every morning with a walk on the beach. Maybe that's why I feel so much better when I'm at the beach and am desperately trying to make it my permanent home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of terrible, but my morning ritual involves coffee! Even in summer, I need a cup of fresh hot coffee each and every morning. There is something so soothing about the warmth of each sip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails