Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

A humble ending

HUMILITY - The quality or condition of being humble; imitate Jesus and Socrates. [Humility week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


Yesterday, we spent the day in San Francisco. We do that sometimes, my hubby and I like to go and do very regular stuff, go to a farmers market, walk around town, get a cup of coffee and generally walk around acting like we still live there. Paying homage to the part of our selves who would still like to do so. We love that city and while our suburban lifestyle is much better suited for our family life we do miss it! 

While we were hanging around the farmers market we were entertained by acrobats and musicians, The girl enjoyed dancing, chasing sea gulls and grabbing fresh samples from all the colorful vendors. We had to buy a bunch of carrots with the greens still attached and a softball size peach because Sweets had already appropriated large bites out of them before we could move on. I can imagine how hard it is not to think all that beautiful food ay her perfect eye level isn't there just for her taking!

At one point, I decided it was time to distract her so my Sweetie could get some real shopping done so we looked in other directions for distraction. A drum trio and a mariachi band provided a small distraction but then we hit pay dirt! A most fascinating man was sitting  atop a milk crate in the middle of all the activity furiously typing on a very small typewriter. Of course my girl had never seen one of those and Zach, the typist, was very sweet to show her exactly how it worked. Mesmerized by his frenetic pace, we watched for a moment and then I read the sign he had posted next to his seat which said that  Poems were written on the topic of our choice would be written for a donation of our choosing.  When we happened upon him he was working on a wedding poem for someone.

What fun! Of course humility was the topic I was interested in exploring so I requested a five dollar poem on humility. Since we were there with him and he was at an impasse on his wedding poem (needed the last name of the person requesting the poem) he took out a piece of paper, rolled it into the typewriter and began to write our poem with the same earnest pace we had already seen demonstrated. A few short moments later he economically tore the paper on which our poem was typed out of the typewriter and signed the small parchment.

Photobucket

human
 will it to be
  must think advance
   forward guarded and
    given many at the 
     moments noticed
      in totality is
       obviously so
        much bigger
          with sun and
           trees and
            continuously 
             existing what
              we think is 
                physically
                 in context
                  quite humbled
                    to be the mere
                      matter of fact
       Z Houston

How enjoyable!! What a fun way to end the week! You can find Zach Houston on line here

"My academic focus is primarily on language and trope. I operate a performance/literature/business/art piece referred to as The Poem Store, a project that consists of exchanging free verse poetry about anything you want, composed on a manual typewriter, in exchange for a donation." 

As usual my humility experience has left me wanting... unlike my other virtues which seem to benefit from being amplified every time I look at humility I am left feeling as if I may never actually grasp it. I can definitely see why Ben Franklin felt the need to study it his entire life! I will give myself a 4 out of 10 on my weekly scale and award no bliss boosts. My appreciation has definitely been improved but I really can't say that I have identified any upsurge in my experience of Bliss as a result of it.! 

How did Humility week play out over in your world?


Next post: Surprise week and the announcement of the Gratitude Giveaway winner!
(don't forget today is your last day to enter!)


My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are studying Humility. Next week it is Surprise.

7 comments:

  1. I love that! How fun to get a poem written for you on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful - what a blessed day! Just an FYI too, before we head out and celebrate my hubby, I gave you a li'l blog lovin' on my last-minute-fathers-day post today. You deserve it...sorry I didn't mention it earlier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a truly wonderful day. You went and did everything that I truly enjoy doing. I cannot believe this person created a poem on the spot like that. What an amazing talent! Thanks for sharing what he created. Enjoy the rest of your day. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem, love it! To create a poem like that right on the spot is definitely talent! Glad you had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice on the spontaneous poem!! Love the new look to your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Not only the poem, but the means by which it came about! How absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful experience and fabulous idea, I would love to get a poem written just like that. Glad you had a fun day out in the city

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails