Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Monday, April 5, 2010

An orderly beginning...

ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.

An orderly beginning... HA!! This is the third time around for order week and each time, as well as at various points between weeks, I have thought "You know you can really do this Kath." The "this" being get myself organized. I feel like I should have the motivation because I really like it when things are organized. When I envision "perfect scenarios" about cooking a meal, planning a craft project with my girl (who I've decided to call "girl" or "J" going forward in this blog) or pretty much anything, my scenarios always have me easily and quickly grabbing the needed items and easily returning things back to their rightful spots.

In reality, I spend about 20-30 extra minutes EVERY TIME I begin anything hunting around the house for needed items. If I want to leave the house it is even worse. Twenty minutes can be lost easily as I try to find J's sun hat, outfit matching shoes, or sun glasses even if we had them the last time we went out one hour earlier!

At my last corporate-ish job I took a course called Mission Control where I learned how to effectively manage all the loose information, stuff, thoughts, calendar items with which I was surrounded. It worked beautifully and as my work environment lived and spoke mission control practices it was easy to be diligent about following through. Being a full time mom is very different then that corporate gig but in my heart I know my home and I would really benefit if I applied the same principles in managing our day to day life. Mission Control isn't an organization system per say but one of its results is a more organized life. This week I will spend some time revisiting the mission control principles and I'll see what happens.


This week's  "Bliss Initiatives" are color coded in purple for quick identification. They are concrete things that you too can try,  if you want to play along with me.  However, because as Earl Nightingale says, "you become what you think about,"  even if you only follow along,  and never take on any of the bliss initiatives,  I expect some positive results. I will be exploring and encouraging ORDER this way:

    • Field work -  I will be picking two things to clean up around my house - my pantry and my garage. If you are playing along pick a drawer or closet that is particularly troublesome for you and spend 15 minutes a day until the entire thing is the way you would like it to be. If you are ambitious move on to another item when you are complete. 15 minutes isn't a lot of time and you will be surprised by what you can do in that amount of time. Make a game of it and really stop at the end of the 15 minutes and you will likely find yourself eager to get back and finish. The key is to do it everyday. I will be starting with my pantry and then moving on to the garage!
    • Bliss work - This one is good for everyone no matter how organized you already are or aspire to be.  Each day I will be giving at least one thing away. Less is more and we have way too much stuff.  It is a great feeling when one frees themselves from the burden of their stuff and then to know that someone else could benefit makes the whole process highly addictive! If you like how this feels you may even want to consider the 29 day Giving Challenge.
    Cami Walker, founder of the wonderful  29 day Giving Challenge said this about giving things away "I want to notice what happens in my life if I focus my energy on giving ... What space will it create in my life for new and unexpected things to occur? What shifts will I see in my thinking and behavior as a result? What impact will my gifts have on others? These are just a few of the questions I'm curious about. Who knows what will unfold?

    Nothing is planned. I don't know what I'll give away each day. I just begin the day and when I feel moved to give something, I do. This really goes against my control freak nature, but taking contrary action is sometimes needed to create change. Part of me initially wanted to plot out the... days and line up the things I'm giving in my hallway so I have the illusion of knowing what to expect. But collapsing into that old, manipulative way of being would defeat the purpose of the experiment."

    • Put wanted items in the calendar - This is the let each part of your business have its time part of my definition. I am really good about scheduling all of J's doctor appointments but when it comes to my own appointments I constantly put things off. This week in a bold week of bloggy accountability I am promising to schedule a dentist and doctor appointment for myself. How about you? Any appointments you have been avoiding? This is the week to get them scheduled!
    OK. That is more then enough for this week! 

    Next Post: Hard core bloggy accountability!

    Have something to say about organization? Written a a fun post about your foibles while keeping your house clean? This is the place to share it! 
    New and old favorite posts and essays are welcome here!
    I've got something to say about Order!

    Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
    This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
    For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.
    My 13 bliss virtues are  joyordercreativitypassionwhimsyserenityinquiry
     [Click on any virtue to see all the Everyday Bliss Posts on the topic.]

    5 comments:

    1. I borrowed the Happiness Project, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm usually a very organized person - the only thing is that there is nearly not enough time in the day to do all that I want to do. LOL So I think I need to re-evaluate my organizational skills a bit. :) Looking forward to your review. Theresa

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm working on organization too, big surprise, I've been working on it for thelast three months. P is going to be crawling in a month though, so I really really need to get everything finished unpacked and vacumable before she eats everything. Because she will... I just signed up for Fly Lady, dunno if it will help or not.

      ReplyDelete
    3. My every day struggle! I finished one room all the way to the closet this weekend (but I was motivated for an arts/crafts/writing room!). Love the giveaway - really good idea!

      ReplyDelete
    4. That 29 Days of Giving Challenge is really quite interesting! I'm going to go back and read more about it later when I have more time, but so far, it seems pretty cool and I can totally see how it could make a huge impact! I am rather organized at work, but my studio at home is a creative chaos! I need to do better at keeping it picked up. It is fairly well organized, just not well kept, you know?

      ReplyDelete
    5. oh man, sometimes i hate leaving the house for the simple reason that by the time i leave, i need to go back home in 20 minutes for nap time. booo. i need to work on the whole organization thing. thanks for the post!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

    Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

    Empire Building Kit

    Legal Stuff

    Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

    © Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

    Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

    • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
    • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
    • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
    • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
    • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
    • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
    • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
    • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
    • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
    • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
    • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
    • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
    • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails