Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Monday, April 12, 2010

Kicking off Creativity Week!

CREATIVITY - The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.

Wow! This week has once again snuck up on me! It isn't as if one can't be creative under a variety of circumstances. I just had an intention to do something personally more creative, of a crafty nature and possibly do it with my friend Jaye (who I already introduced to you here) but I never set it up. Who knows though, perhaps a last minute effort can be arranged anyway. Jaye and I have been trying to set up a crafty day after I spent a few glorious hours creating with her at her crafty Birthday Party.

Can you believe this cool space?? Every gadget and crafty tool and supply was available to us!

The Birthday gal and I showing off our finished products!





Not bad eh?? As much as I may protest I do have crafty roots. My problem comes from being a perfectionist about things and also about having loftier visions then my skill allows. I don't want to gradually get better, I want things to turn out perfect the first try. I know it is stupid but nevertheless I have to deal with it anytime I try anything. Having a three year old is really helping me to combat this. I don't assign any requirements when playing and creating with her.

Creativity is not just for arts and crafts it is a delightful and useful addition to any situation so in addition to working out some crafty intentions I intend to be creative in all areas of life. Sometimes difficulties just require a creative approach to get resolved. Creative menu planning can lift dinner to a culinary extravaganza and even organization can benefit from a dose of creativity. So without further ado lets get the game started!


This week's  "Bliss Initiatives" are color coded in purple for quick identification. They are specific things that you too can try, if you want to play along with me.  However, because as Earl Nightingale says, "you become what you think about,"  even if you only follow along,  and never take on any of the bliss initiatives,  I expect some positive results. I will be exploring and encouraging CREATIVITY this way:

  • Field work - commit to being creative this week. Making meatballs "creatively" is a lot more fun then making dinner! When confronted with a challenge consider a different approach. Ask for help. Look for a new way to do the same things. Making the commitment to be creative can make all the difference. See what happens for you this week!
  • Study - I am excited to get back to poking around the internet, and continuing with my SLOW study of  "The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance" by Eric Maisel which I started my first creativity week. I am way behind in my plan to go through the book during this year so I am eager to get back to it! Look for an updated review post about my progress a bit later in the week.
  • Creative Prompt - Consider boosting your creativity with Jaye's creative prompt game. I will post a new prompt later this week but if you are eager to try something now check out the creative prompt list for 2009If it furthers your creative goals consider trying out several or all of them!
    This is from her Inspiration Page where she explains the idea of a Creative Prompt. 
Each week we commit to be creative.
A creative prompt is given and we interpret that into a drawing, a doodle, a collage, a photo…any kind of creative work that suits you. We can design a quilt, make a sculpture from marble or Sculpey, mold something with clay, paint, or write anything we want in response to the prompt. There are no rules on medium or method. The idea is to develop a regular art practice.           

  • Have some Fun - Pick something new to try from my tips to inspire your creative muse post or take up a new hobby.  Getting your mind to think in a new way is creativity! I am going to take some extra time over at my friend Katherine's One Inch World "Weekly craft posts about tiny things and things for tiny people" for inspiring things for Jessie to try.

Finally, if you have something creative you would like to share, please consider adding your link to my newly launched Creativity linky library! I am hoping to collect a treasure trove of inspiring posts on Creativity! If you don't have a blog and want to share something please contact me directly and I will get your inspiration posted!

Next Post: Creativity Everywhere! 


Have something to say about Creativity? 

Written a a fun post about your creativity challenges or successes? 
This is the place to share it! 
New and old favorite posts and essays are welcome here!
Click here if you missed the announcement post!
I have something to say about Creativity!

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.


My 13 bliss virtues are  
 [Click on any virtue to see all the Everyday 
Bliss Posts on the topic.]

7 comments:

  1. Oooooo!!!! This might be my favorite week ever! Hee-hee!!!! That is a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. Love the thought of being creative everyday! Everyone should be, even those who think they aren't should try it... put your left shoe on first instead of your right... shake things up a bit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I not surprised to read Jingle's 'googy! goody!' as the first comment??!!!! I have joined Creative Every Day, and I try to look at every day creatively but I'm finding it difficult...or perhaps I'm being too ambitious- like what you say about being a perfectionist? i can relate to that too. Jingle wrote a grwat post about a month back (I think) about wanting to do everything, and do it now, and be really good at it- it was funny but only too true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I wrote on my blog, creativity can be acquired through experimenting with a wide variety of things and working with the unexpected. You can read the tips I left at the end but if there is one thing that I must point out, do not force it on yourself!
    I am a perfectionist too and am sometimes confronted to the fact that I don't want to experiment with crafty things, ugly things (being a designer). I don't want to find a quick solution that is not well presented. I try to put that aside every time I face a challenge and it sure pays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to hang out. I could always use more ideas to entertain the children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be an exceptionally fun week. :) I am looking forward to it. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool widget for posting ideas about creativity. like what you're doing.

    creativity is air/water: we can't live without being it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails