Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Letting each part of your business have its time!

ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time. [Order week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then, youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success. –Louisa May Alcott


This week it has been really easy for me to get a bit consumed with the physical aspects of my Order virtue. There is something immensely satisfying about starting out with a total mess and bringing it to order. Yes, there is a reason this virtue makes my list, even if my lack of aptitude seems a direct contradiction! As important as this initial piece of my virtue is, the second  part of my (actually Ben Franklin's) definition, "Let each part of your business have its time" is a most important decree.


Before I became a stay at home mom it was a little easier to find some natural divisions in my time. Work happened at work and the struggle became to leave work at the office but,  never the less, some division in time was obvious. Now my office and my home are one and all the lines are being smashed together. I am constantly trying to multi task, propping my computer on the counter while I'm cooking dinner, talking to my mom while tossing a ball to Jessie, reading my kindle while Jessie plays in the park, typing my blog post while having coffee with my sweetie. The game is to try and do everything and apparently all at once!


This really doesn't work very well. I realize as I am typing this (while J sleeps and Sweetie is working in his office -- so it is actually the perfect time to be doing so!) that my doing everything at once approach doesn't really allow for me to be fully present anywhere. My girl is not getting the benefit of full attention and I'm actually training her to be indifferent with my slow to respond attitude. My Sweetie and I need time together and not just time sitting in the same room. My mom deserves my attention when we are talking. I deserve time to myself and all of these relationships are getting short changed in my quest to do it all.


One of the major precepts of the Mission Control program I mentioned earlier in the week is that you will never get everything done. When one first hears this it feels like an assault on one's character. "You might not be able to do it, but I sure can!" chants through your head and you convince your self that some tip or tool will someday provide the perfect access to FINALLY getting it all done! The problem is the quest for the tool becomes a scapegoat for all the stuff you aren't able to do at the moment, "When I get organized (insert tip or tool of choice here)  I'll be able to get everything done!" and then even if you become successful and employ your new tool (in this case getting organized) all the time you free up because of it will be immediately filled with a hundred other things you want, should or need to do.


Our calendars are finite. We only have 24 hours in a day. No matter how organized and efficient we get this remains the case. 


Not really what you want to hear is it?


We really do want more time but unfortunately no tip or tool can give us any more. I know you are resisting this fact. If/when we really understand this we can look at our days anew. The game becomes about prioritizing. Since I only have 24 hours in a day what do I want to do with them becomes the question, and the sort of crazed, trying to do everything all at once way I've been doing it is not the answer.


I've decided that I'm going to divide my time into relationship blocks. Family time, Friend time, Jessie time, personal sanity time (which may include housework because having clean laundry does help to keep me sane!), Sweetie time and Blog time. Today I will do one thing at a time and I will be fully present with the people I love. 


So what do you want to do with your 24 hours? A few of them will be used conducting the business of life, sleeping, doing laundry, working, but what about the rest of them? What really is most important to you?


[Note: I found the Louisa May Alcott quote over on the Optimal Optimist's blog in her post Life's Questions Answered, where she discusses some of the same conundrums about time. A visit to her blog would be worth some of yours!]


Next Post: My Happiness Project Review







Have something to say about organization? 
Written a a fun post about your foibles while keeping your house clean? 
This is the place to share it! 
New and old favorite posts and essays are welcome here!

I've got something to say about Order!





Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.







My 13 bliss virtues are  
 [Click on any virtue to see all the Everyday Bliss Posts on the topic.]

4 comments:

  1. Wanna know something? You will be happier for it. Just don't make it so scheduled that it is done for schedule sake. I decided to spend my time appropriately a long time ago and it makes my life a happy place, let me tell you! It is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was new in the work-world, I found myself thinking about personal stuff at work and about work at home, etc. I made myself a little sign (today it would be on a post-it, but they hadn't been invented yet): "Be where you are."

    I found that applies to the many things that compete for my attention at home, too. So I think you're onto something good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm just stopping in to say Hi. I will have to come back and read up some more now that hte weekend is here and I will have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Kathy! I am reading backwards. LOL But I probably should have read this post first! Very informational. I definitely need to try and "block" time so I have plenty of work time, creative time and play time. Ahhh...so many new things to try!!! Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails