Image credit The Joy House
Last night I took advantage of number from Daphna Caperonis' list of 50 ways to find Joy. Hit the sack sooner. Go to bed an hour early tonight. Tomorrow, you'll wake up with a brighter outlook. I would love to tell you that it was part of some grand plan to follow through on my bliss initiatives but actually it just sort of happened. You see my Sweetie and I have been, as many parents of preschoolers do, struggling with getting our girl to bed at a reasonable time and last night we succeeded! Woo hoo she was sleeping by 9:00 so that leaves us with the possibility of watching a couple of adult television shows or anything else we might be interested in doing.
The problem was we were tired. Normally we would have pushed through our tiredness just to spend a few girl free hours together. It is as if we have a sacred trust to stay up for an additional few hours when the opportunity presents. Thankfully we were wiser last night. We went to bed early and even though I didn't feel like I needed "a brighter outlook" having a full eight hours of sleep certainly helps one to feel sunnier!
I am having a hard time believing that it is Saturday already. I think kicking off the week on Tuesday, because of the giveaway, was certainly a contributing factor but it really is flying by. Easter has positively snuck up on me and in addition to Easter, tomorrow is Jessie's third birthday. Her fairy birthday party is next weekend so full panic hasn't entirely set in! So, it isn't just weeks going fast it is whole years! I really do feel like I'm in a sped up version of my life right now!
Here is the recap of my Bliss Initiatives.
- Study - I have started "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, which I already shared, but I just haven't found the time to finish it. I'm a very speedy reader so I think I should have this knocked out by now... perhaps later today, no realistically that time will be spent dying Easter Eggs! Guess I'll have to update you all next week. Order is covered in Gretchen's book so I have an "on topic" reason to read it next week too!
- Do something you love - Here I've been reasonably successful. Jessie and I shared an ice cream yesterday when I felt the need to vacuum. We had just had six of her friends and their siblings & mommies over for lunch so our house was a disaster but I chose going to the mall and having an ice cream cone. She was so happy. We don't usually have ice cream on random Friday afternoons... want to make sure she eats dinner and other reasons aside I think I should do so a bit more often!
- Carry a pocket charm - Great idea except I lost my charm! I keep hoping it will show up but I've checked all my pants pockets and the various collecting spots in my house... nothing!
- Field work - I've done the one thing from Daphna Caperonis' list but it hasn't been a conscious effort. I think I'll look that list over when I'm done here. You should do the same. Joy inspiration does await!
- Get in the mood for Joy - I have watched the 5 minute Finding Joy Movie once. It is a nice meditative thing to do. Reminds me that I have a lot to be grateful for this Easter season. Try it for yourself. I do think you will like it!
So there you have it, My update from the Joy trenches. Definitely a mixed bag of results but I'm happy to be playing the game! How about you? Are you encouraging joy over in your world? If so, I'd love to hear about it!
Next Post: Something New comes to Everyday Bliss
My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise