Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Monday, November 2, 2009

Inquiry begins!

INQUIRY - a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge; study, scrutiny, exploration.

 I've been looking forward to this week. As I think I have mentioned, I consider myself a seeker. I love the whole process of discovering things. I can be quite pig headed when I'm on a mission to find out something and can spend exorbitant amounts of time getting to the source of what ever quandary enamors me. Actually finding an answer, solution or truth really isn't all that satisfying for me. I like the journey. The destination is really of no consequence.




I like all sorts of inquiry. The big questions; how does the universe work and what is my role in it all? The little questions; who makes the best latte in my new neighborhood? I consider myself a tourist on planet earth. I am here to see all the wonders.

 This week I am picking three areas of inquiry as my access to exploring and encouraging INQUIRY. For this week's  "Bliss Initiatives," play along with what I do or make up your own inquiries.  This week is about the process of learning something, anything new and it doesn't even matter if you succeed.  Remember, because as Earl Nightingale says, "you become what you think about,"  even if you only follow along,  and never take on any of the bliss initiatives, I expect some results for you.

Big Question Inquiry - I will be musing on some of the big questions about the world and how it all works and I have decided to spend some time this week with Ken Wilber. Not literally of course, but over at his Integral Naked and +kenwilber.com web sites one can listen to his lectures and read a lot of his most recent work so it feels like you are spending time with him. If you are not familiar with Ken I think his integral approach to discovery is certainly something everyone could find useful. Some of his stuff can get pretty heady so if you are not quite up to that this week please consider another approach to the big questions. For those of you interested in getting to know Ken's work and world view I highly recommend A Brief History of Everything.  I have read it multiple times and have always come away wanting more and learning more. The Shambala Publications website, where you can buy Ken's books describes A Brief History of Everything:

In a breathtaking trip from the Big Bang to the Postmodern world we inhabit, Ken Wilber examines the universe and our place in it—and comes up with an accessible and entertaining account of how it all fits together. Along the way he sheds light not only on the great cosmic questions but on various contentious issues of our day, such as environmental ethics, gender relations, multiculturalism, and even the meaning of the Internet. "A Brief History of Everything" is the perfect introduction to the great Integral thinker at his wise and witty best.

Daily Living Inquiry - In this initiative I am going to pick something in my daily life that I have thought about learning more about but just never actually make time to do. I actually mentioned it last week. I will spend time this week getting to know the plants and trees in my new neighborhood and yard.  If you don't know what is growing in your yard you may like to join me in this inquiry. If this is of no interest then please pick something you have been thinking would be "good to know" and go find out about it!

Activity Inquiry - I have been feeling like I have not been providing Jessie and I with enough interesting activities to do together. I don't want to "over program" our lives but I think a couple of carefully selected activities could make a difference. I will be using this inquiry week as the impetus to find something new for us to do! If you are not a parent or if you think you have enough activities with your children, I would encourage you to find a project or activity you can share with a friend or family member instead.

Next Post: The big questions

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise
blog comments powered by Disqus

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails