Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Playing the game

This is a complicated post because there are probably dozens of ways one could play this game. I'll begin with Ben Franklin's Virtue pursuit (I hesitate to call his version a game because I don't think he called it that.) As I mentioned in my very first post, Ben spent his entire life tracking his progress related to his 13 virtues. He created a little score card  in a journal that he kept with him and in addition to weekly study he would grade himself daily on how he was doing with regard to each virtue. If you are ambitious enough to play this way, I whole heartedly applaud your effort and would love to hear about it! I am not quite up to the task myself and have come up with a modified format!

To begin with, I have elected NOT to evaluate myself on each virtue on a daily or even weekly basis. That is to begin with anyway. I decided it was important to go through the first quarter of the game, 13 weeks for the 13 virtues, and as part of the first week of study each virtue will get, I will also figure out what specifics and measurements I want to incorporate for the rest of the game. It is my intention to create an online survey/log system (which I will make available to you too!) that will allow for more formal tracking in the future.

I am interested in making this game VERY user friendly. I mean it is about BLISS so I want everyone to have fun while participating or even just following along! As part of my study into each of my virtues I will be coming up with what I'm calling "Bliss Initiatives" which will be concrete things you can do in your own life to foster a particular bliss virtue.  Some of these things will be simple; perhaps something like Smile at three strangers today and others will be more time consuming; make a list of the things that bring you joy today or more complicated: hand make a greeting card and deliver it in person.  My thought is for you to participate as much or as little as you want. Some weeks it may be possible to take everything on and other weeks you may only want to follow along as I try things out.

I don't expect that I will be able to do everything I come up with either.  We all have busy lives and this project is intended to inspire not overwhelm!  Some weeks I may have a dozen lofty ideas but be unable to even complete one. Remember I am going on the belief that "we become what we think about" so even the inquiry is likely to have an effect. This is the very thing I am excited to blog about.

So, bottom line, there will be different kinds of participation:
  • following along
  • playing along with the "Bliss Initiatives" I come up with
  • creating your own initiatives
And you are invited to play along as much or little as you want!

I stepped away and Jessie decided to add this:  b vvvjjjjvvbvb      
"I do it while you are gone mommy"

Next Planned Post - Starting the Game Monday!

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

2 comments:

  1. I also think that putting the tasks out there will allow people to do them at their own pace. If you can't make the card this week, then maybe you can make it next week. If you can't hand it over in person, sending it in the email will bring joy as well.

    Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I'm a little late in following this but now that I've had a chance to read through the concept, I'm so excited to play along and it looks like you'll be starting from the beginning again next week, which gives me a chance to continue reading up on what You've been doing so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails