Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Reflections on Joy

JOY - A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something exceptionally festive or satisfying.
[Click here to review this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

Wow! I am really enjoying this. Thank you to everyone who is playing along, it is a lot of fun knowing that you are out there making your own strides towards Everyday Bliss.  I especially appreciated that many of you took time out to comment or otherwise let me know what has been happening in your life as a result of following my little game. My friend Lisa just posted in her facebook status that she "is taking one from Kathy and feeling blissful and full of joy. Content." SO SWEET and I'm happy she feels that way!

If I were to sum up the lesson of the week it is to pay attention.  More then a hundred times a day there are chances to feel a little JOY. The trick is to open yourself up to them.  Feel the hugs, notice the hummingbirds, remember the love. Enjoyment is out there for the taking! Rebekah said it beautifully in her blog: (Check out the full post here) "SO I decided I would play along with Kathy and her experiment.  There are a couple reasons I thought this would be awesome.  The first reason is that I feel like over the last  year and a half or so I have become kind of numb to the miracles in my life.  The wonderful things I experience on a daily basis have become sort of ordinary.  It's easy to forget how great things are when you start to focus more on what is missing than what you have.... Here is what I have noticed already.  I'm more present to situations with others where I can be more graceful and understanding..."

As I mentioned when I started, I don't think I'll ever finish everything I set out to do and that proved true this week. Two days I entirely forgot about my  Field work -  to do at least one thing from Daphna Caperonis' terrific list of 50 ways to find Joy.  I also took no time "getting in the mood for joy" and didn't even watch the super short Finding Joy Movie which looked like a fabulous idea to start any Joy filled day. I did do a lot of study and am amazed at the number of resources out there. One could realistically spend the entire year focusing on joy and there would be more to discover. I am really looking forward to doing it again in 13 weeks!

Following Ben Franklin's process to rate himself on how he did with regard to his virtues I am trying to figure out how I want to rate myself on this Joy Week.  I can definately give myself points for increasing the amount of Joy I felt over previous weeks,  I think sharing joy with others is up on it's scale too but it still feels like there is a lot more JOY to be felt. I could also rate the execution of my plan which if I do a 100 point scale I would give myelf a 75-80%.  The whole thing is entirely subjective so I will arbitrarily try out a 10 point scale and give myself a 7 for my first week of JOY.

Up next: A week of ORDER

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise
blog comments powered by Disqus

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails