Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A hint of Moxie

JOY - A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something exceptionally festive or satisfying.
[Click here to review this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

When I selected the book "This is Your Brain on Joy" by Dr. Earl Henslin I did so for two reasons. First,  I just liked the way it sounds. I always liked the "This is your brain on drugs" public service announcement and the title made me think of that, except this is the good version!

Secondly, when I did my random google searches on "JOY" this book kept popping up so I decided the universe was telling me something.

When I read a synopsis of the book I became a little concerned with the VERY Christian slant. Although I grew up catholic and have had some experience in an evangelical church I am not very religious and I wasn't intending for my Bliss pursuit to be particularly spiritual in nature. Funny thing is however, when ever joy is pondered, particularly by people far wiser then me, there seems to be a natural tendency towards the spiritual. Part of being human is to feel and seek out joy so it is no surprise that it is so often a part of spiritual messages.  It seems absurd that I was thinking that there is a secular kind of joy and that would be the one I with which I would concern myself. Turns out JOY is JOY is JOY and while Dr. Henslin's book does have a specific message for Christians there is plenty of great information that is applicable no matter your faith or lack there of for that matter!

I went ahead and Kindled the book and have been very satisfied with the content. (I totally adore the instant gratification a Kindle provides but truthfully this book, with all its cool graphs and pictures would be better in standard book form.)  One of the main themes Earl (Yes his name IS Earl, and since he introduced himself that way to me - more about that in a minute - I feel I can call him that!) puts forth in the book is compassion.  At only 16% of the way through the book (according to my Kindle) I am clear that all brains are not created equal in terms of the capacity to feel joy. This fact, supported by some serious brain science is outlined in the book. Strategies for fixing an injured or joy impaired brain aside,  compassion for those who have a brain dysfunction is as simple as compassion for someone with a broken leg once a diagnosis can be made.  With more then 80% of the book to go, I'm sure I'll have a lot more to share. I am particularly looking forward to reading about the "joy boosters" he promises later in the book.

On a moxiful lark, as I was preparing for this week,  I decided to people search Dr. Henslin on facebook and what do you know,  he was there. There is also a page devoted to his book with several discussion topics. I thought, "That's pretty cool!" and I immediately joined the book group. Then I thought he personally might be interested in my project so I sent him a little note and he was kind enough respond, telling me "My name IS Earl :) " and thanking me for using his book. I felt a total surge of Joy when I reached out - a type of Moxie I readily and easily employed back in my cold calling sales days but have used very little of lately. Then when Earl also left a little comment on the blog I was beside myself -- actual bliss.  I was reaching out to my very own JOY celebrity and he actually responded! I don't know about you but I often think that someone noteable, famous or somehow rated (by my fallacious rekoning) as more important then me, would never have the time of day for me. It was really fun and JOY affirming to realize that this is not the case!

Next Post: Some Field Work

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

2 comments:

  1. Outrageous Joy, indeed. I thought I was going to have to wait for Moxie and here it is right away. Thanks!
    I am feeling joyous just thinking about the topic this week. So perhaps just being open to Joy is enough some days.
    I am overscheduled in my daily life, but I was happily late for work this morning in order to return home and retrieve the necklace my daughter wanted to wear in her school pictures. It was exhilarating to watch her teacher slip it onto her desk and have her not know from whence it came....
    As for those kids of ours... I have had those parenting moments of embarrassment that I now recognize were gifts from Lucy. If I hadn't learned to give in to her fashion theory (as many colors and patterns as possible), I might still be wearing neutral suits all the time. I wear a lot of pink now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, thank you so much for taking time to comment! So great that you sneaked the necklace in to Lucy. I am glad you are having fun with the blog and I love that you are feeling Joyous. Yes Jessie is a gift in more then a thousand ways. Pink IS good on you (reminded of that photo from when your board certification came) Moxie will be a really fun week... guess I just couldn't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails