Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Marking a half way point!

INQUIRY - a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge; study, scrutiny, exploration.  [Inquiry week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

I just realized that I've made it to the half way mark in my first virtue cycle. OK this is a year long experiment and I haven't even made it through the first complete pass through of all the virtues but I feel like celebrating.

Hip hip hooray!

I'd like you all to know that having you all out there reading and sometimes commenting has made this experiment of mine super fun and actually entirely possible. There were already a couple of times when, if I didn't know you were all out there waiting for my next update, I may have quit. I am a self proclaimed TOURIST* and as such I often think things are a good idea but I don't always have the stick-to-it-ive-ness to follow through. There are just too many things to explore. I find it hard to stay on track. So thank you for helping to keep me on track this time!

I am curious to find out what virtue or possibly specific post you like best so far. I definitely resonated with Whimsy the most this time around but as Amy noted (in the Serenity week comes to a close comments) "it's nice to cycle through your habits over the course of a year - who knows what craziness a week may hold, or how receptive you'll be to a particular change of pace."  I'm really looking forward to seeing how each virtue feels each time around.

I do have a few favorite posts. I really like The Distinctions of Bliss because it lays out how I decided on the 13 virtues I chose. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to consider coming up with their own list but if you are interested in why I picked what I picked this is the post for you! I like the  Joy Boosters post because it gives a lot of really concrete and simple things to do to increase Joy in your life. I want each week's Bliss Initiatives to provide easy access to the virtues but I think I'd like to add more "Boosters" in upcoming weeks! I like Occasional Bursts of Passion for the same reason, some simple concrete tips, and for the fact that it has that hot kiss photo. Every time I see that photo it just has me thinking more passionately and I like that! I liked all the Whimsy week posts but if pressed would pick Kitchen Whimsy as the best. It was fun to borrow Jeff's format and do things a bit differently... hmmm perhaps I'll have to do some more of that!

So what were YOUR favorites? Anything you'd like to see more of or has something been missing for you that you would like to see? I'm interested in your feedback! Let me know here in the comments or if you prefer drop me a note in facebook.  I look forward to what ever you have to say!

* A long time ago, I created my own three group classification system for humans.
First there are the ARCHITECTS - they cause change on the planet. The greats of humanity fall into this category.
Then there are ARCHIVISTS - these folks pay attention and can use what the architects make and build upon it. Many scientists and artists would fall into this category.
And finally the biggest group of all, which the other two need in order to play their roles is TOURIST -- here on planet earth for some textural experience.

(Note: Lull me with a good glass of wine or a glass of 25 year old scotch some warm Adirondack evening and I'd be delighted to tell you stories about frustrated archivists and architects and why being a tourist isn't as demeaning as it may sound.)

Next Post: Integral Inquiry

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I'm so impressed how dedicated a blogger you are...I wish I had the same amount of dedication for my own. Keep up the good work!

    And I think I'm a cross between a archivist and a tourist, but definitely leaning more towards the latter ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails