Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Small Inquiries

INQUIRY - a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge; study, scrutiny, exploration. [Inquiry week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

Prior to starting this blog, I could quite literally spend hours poking around the internet. Some random thought would bring me to a garden supply web site, Ebay's Tommy Bahama Golf shirt offerings, the upcoming class schedule at a gym I will not join, or the perfect crock pot meal for tomorrow's dinner and then I would be off... Garden tools remind me of other housewares, then I am searching for cute new living room looks and my, that might be a nice present for Aunt Ann.... well you get the idea. These puerility driven inquiries could occupy me endlessly.  This is no longer the case.  Now I'm compelled by my task at hand. I need to be preparing for the post on joy, serenity. I don't have time for trivial inquiry!

Thankfully inquiry week has come along to hoist me from the doldrum my study was becoming! My new process, while quite valid considering my endeavor to provide new content and musings on the topic at hand, has kept me from enjoying the serendipty of random flow. My former meanderings were not usually time efficient but they provided unexpected discoveries that often delighted me. I feel smarter because I know that only 3% of Americans consider themselves atheists, low flow shower heads save an average of 12 gallons of water per shower(!), and more then 300 million people use facebook.  I am a better parent because of the tips and stories I read in obscure blogs, parenting sites and my friends' posts.  I feel aware of current events because I glance at the daily Yahoo news scroll, catch a glimpse of some politico's rant or watch a Daily Show clip. I am thrilled to read advertisements that tell me my chronic internet addiction will help to keep my aging brain from withering in old age and can't imagine a day without a little jaunt around the ether. Heck I might have missed these important finds!

Grandmother Fights Bear With Pillow

80 Million Tiny Images of all the nouns in English language

8 Things Disney Parks Have Banned

How to cultivate mad-hot creative flow

Will Humans' Brains Change During Travel in Outer Space?

Man Dressed As Breathalyser Arrested For Drink-Driving

Man sues after Axe body spray fails to land him a girlfriend

The 7 Biggest Food Product Duds of All Time

 

So far I've resisted the urge to compound my internet affliction with a hand held device so my aimless inquiries have been limited to those times when Jessie is napping or otherwise occupied at home. However, I watch my friend Efsun's finger flick scroll of her iphone while at the playground and Rob's androided (is this a word yet?) Yelp queries in shopping mall parking lots and I am desirous. I imagine finding out if the berry Jessie ingested is not poisenous with certainty rather then with the hope that poisenous bushes aren't planted on playgrounds. I envision sharing the name and location of "that great trampoline place" (Sky High Sports) when chatting about it with other eager moms. I would find the closest specialty baking shop quickly and be able to procure black licorice legs for spider cookies and return home before the nap witching hour with ease.  Whew, now that I've considered it a bit more, I am positively itchy to give it a try! Perhaps the once hip flip phone in my pocket concedes replacement after all.

Next Post: Communing with Nature

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

3 comments:

  1. You are a really good writer! Thanks for sharing. I am coveting another device, but don't want to give up my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaye. I've heard the new DROID from Google will have it all... eventually. Europe is getting the touch pad at first release and the keyboard comes with all models. Might just have to wait a bit longer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: Motorola Droid featuring Google --- Google not in phone biz but certainly behind development!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails