Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Reprise of Just Do It!

CREATIVITY - The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc. [Creativity Week starts here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]



A couple of Creativity weeks ago, I wrote a post called  My tip for Boosting Creativity or why the Nike slogan offers the biggest breakthrough! In it I discussed how my fear of ruining my art supplies, they look so perfect and beautiful in their unopened packages, keeps me from creating more. I really thought that I had taken some ground on this until I noticed how my heart starts to beat faster the moment my daughter breaks a crayon or decides that EVERY glittery bead in the bag is needed for one, JUST ONE (I would have doled them out for years! LOL) art project. Scarcity is still somehow hardwired in my brain.

As I told you, last weekend we cleaned out our garage. Included in the big purge was a box of stuff I have been carrying around with me since the late eighties. In this box I had the contents of what used to be housed in an antique secretary/vanity. That piece of furniture is currently in a storage unit but I've kept the box close, just in case, I wanted something. The contents of this box included a bunch of gifty items, I always like to have unique treasures that I can send to friends when I think of them, gift wrap, stationary and a variety of crafty items. This box has served as my "go to box" most often when I was putting together a surprise gift for someone. I have always wanted to be the type of person who regularly surprises her friends with "just the perfect thing!" 

Well, last weekend I finally dismantled that box. As I went through much of it I realized that the years of storage rendered much of the contents unusable. Wrapping paper and ancient envelopes were stuck to each other. Cards were frayed around the edges and small gift boxes looked as if a steam roller had gone over them. Sparkles and special confetti had fallen from their bags and were littered through out the box in useless disarray. Special gift items were broken and for the most part my hoarding of the contents resulted in their being rendered entirely unserviceable. 

So once again I am back to "JUST DO IT" no holding back, no waiting for a "perfect" occasion. My daughter is unafraid of scarcity. She is also unaware of the trap of perfection. Cards with bent corners are just has fun to create with as the pristine ones I covet. It doesn't matter if she runs out of blue when green is there to take its place. Blue trees are just as fun as green... and purple people love their  pink cats just as much as orange ones do.

Tomorrow (we are having a stay at home day!) in a bold and expressive move, I am giving Sweets access to it all. All the paint, all the paper. All the clay, all the glitter. All the feathers, all the stickers... what ever she wants to use. I pledge not to curb her enthusiasm for copious amounts of glue and tape. I am done with doling things out. We are going to let creativity out of the box I've slammed it in. 


On Thursday I'll give you an update!

Has scarcity or perfection been getting in your creative path?

Next Post  Elizabeth of Things Bright gets to the bottom of what might be holding you back!

My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are exploring  Creativity. 
Next week is all about Passion.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I have been known to rip out knitting projects that look "wonky", break pencils over drawings that I'm not happy with, and stay up all night "perfecting" projects until I can no longer keep my eyes open. Yep, that's me. LOL Sometimes a "flaw" can actually add something to a piece of work. As my hubby likes to say, YOU are making this - not a machine. Nothing in life is perfect. How true! Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails