Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let the Joy begin!

JOY - A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something exceptionally festive or satisfying. 

"Speaking of Joy" by Marielliot

So funny how JOY week keeps ending up on a holiday week. I've mentioned that I didn't do any big planning session to figure out the order in which I would examine my virtues. I just sort of looked at them and kept the series the way they came to me and here we have Joy ending up on the holidays of Christmas, Easter and now the 4th of July! How festive for for my festive virtue! 

Over the long weekend, My Sweetie and I did not do much of anything in the way of exciting entertainment but we did get to spend a lot of time hanging around together as a family. It was terrific. At some point while we were enjoying The Girl's squeals of laughter, which she often shares, my Sweetie said, "There's your Outrageous Joy!"  He was referring to the fact that I had discovered and created myself as the possibility of outrageous joy many many years ago (In a Landmark Education Seminar) and a recurring conversation for me is how do I manifest Joy on an ongoing basis. 

Watching my happy girl in action is the manifestation of my and now her joy! If children come to us as pure potentiality the best gift I can give my girl is an optimistic and joyful heart. It is so satisfying to see it happening and to have my partner in parenting recognize it.  What makes the whole thing even more fun is Sweet's joyous nature actually compounds my own.

If I am off track or feeling like things aren't going the way I would like I ask myself the question, Who are you being Kathy? Are you being a possibility of outrageous Joy in this moment? Over the years just asking myself this question has been enough to shift even the darkest of moods. At the core of my being I am Joy and in the moments when I forget this is when I feel lost. Lately I have not been feeling lost but I have been wondering what I might be creating next and/or in addition to parenting my daughter. I am hopeful that this week exploring joy may lead me to some of those answers!

This week's "Bliss Initiatives" are color coded in purple for quick identification. They are specific things that you too can try, if you want to play along with me. However, because as Earl Nightingale says, "you become what you think about," even if you only follow along, and never take on any of the bliss initiatives, I expect some positive results. I will be exploring and encouraging JOY this way:

  • Study - This week I will be considering the Practice of Joy as a spiritual endeavor. From the Spirituality an Practice website:  
    Joy is an essential spiritual practice growing out of faith, grace, gratitude, hope, and love. It is the pure and simple delight in being alive. Joy is our elated response to feelings of happiness, experiences of pleasure, and awareness of abundance. It is also the deep satisfaction we know when we are able to serve others and be glad for their good fortune.
    Invite joy into your life by staging celebrations. Host festivities to mark transitions and changes in your life. Toast moments of happiness you notice as you go through your day. Dance — jump for joy — as often as possible. Life is not meant to be endured; it is to be enjoyed.
  • Do something you love - Don't just say hi on Facebook, actually pick up the phone and call an old friend, share an ice cream with your child, get a massage, paint your nails... what ever it is that brings you joy. Be conscious and choose joy!
  • Carry a pocket charm - I find that I forget about this game as I navigate through my daily life.  I will carry this small totem around with me,  and as I happen upon it,  I will be reminded that I am focusing on JOY.  I found this small pewter stone with the word joy engraved on it but any small pocket sized item can work for you as long as you associate it with this project. 
  • Field work - I've done this before and am repeating it because it works! Each day I will be doing at least one thing from Daphna Caperonis' terrific list of 50 ways to find Joy.  Click here, even if you have no plans to do anything from her list.  Just considering it is a joyous experience! 
  • Get in the mood for Joy - Watch this very short (less then 5 minutes!)  Finding Joy Movie which is a nice, meditative way to begin any JOY filled day.  If time during the week permits, watch one of these feature Films on Joy.

Next Post: More Joy

My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are exploring Joy. 
Next week is all about Order.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you get so much Joy from your daughter and I love even more how much of that you share! I am looking forward to this week of JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that saying by Earl Nightingale, "You become what you think you are." I love your 'outrageous joy' too! I'm glad I came on by here, it was definitely soul food for me today, now I'm full :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, so much to love about this! Outrageous joy indeed. I'm more joyous just reading it!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! It's JOY week. Can't wait to learn what else you have planned. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I love this! Outrageous JOY!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails