Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Creative Prompt and Journal Bliss

CREATIVITY - The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc. [Creativity Week starts here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


"Flutter" by my favorite photographer MariElliott


I thought I'd do two things today. If you have been playing along since the start you know that I kind of consider Creativity Week my Jaye Week. In honor of the friend who first sprang to mind when I thought of Creativity (If you missed it you can read my introduction to her here.)Jaye is a true artist and I have been inspired by her for a long  time. Each Creativity week I highlight her Creative Prompt project . This past week her prompt is "Night" which totally cracked me up because entirely independently my three year old decided to do a mural of "night" on the garage door this past Wednesday where we were having  our stay at home craft day. Jaye's prompt of purple is responsible for our Purple fairy wands and I think since then she and Sweets have shared a special connection!


Read the Creative Prompt Inspiration Page Here. ANd check out the full details by clicking on the Prompt Links:

Creative Prompt #76: Night

 
And today we have:

Creative Prompt #77: Flutter


Now I have to believe this conjures some terrific ideas! Please link up  over on Jaye's Blog  if playing along and let her know that Kathy sent you!


Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric

The second thing I'm doing is reviewing the book  Journal Bliss - Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric by Violette. On Monday I shared that Jaye reviewed this book over on her blog and after reading it I can see why Jaye liked it so much. Violette's style reminds me of Jaye's and I could see their two desks side by side with all their colored pens, pencils and glitter close at hand for just the perfect embellishments. I think I come from an entirely different point of view given that I rarely, if ever think of my self as an artist AND I haven't journaled in decades. My intention for picking up the book was to inspire a new Journal Practice because I have identified Journaling, along with meditation as two practices I would like to take up as I venture toward my future calling.

OK the Everyday BLISS gal was already enrolled by a title that included the word bliss but when I opened the book and saw this quote I was immediately certain I was on to something.
When you follow your Bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.  --Joseph Campbell
I am definitely looking for new doors in my life and if Journaling can help me find it then I am all the happier for trying it!

When Jaye said the book was a quick read she was not kidding. I devoured the entire thing in less then an hour as my daughter did her "fantastic tricks" in gym class. Even with distractions it was easy to get through this book. I found it engaging and by the end of it I even feel competent enough to draw faces! As a person who never felt capable THIS IS HUGE!  As a matter of fact when I began the book I really hadn't been considering drawing as part of my journaling practice but was interested in seeing what may be available to me by doing so. I am sold on the idea now. I LOVE words but I have always felt there were aspects of communication I was lacking because my vocabulary wasn't large and nuanced enough to convey everything I want to say. I see now that a drawing could give me access to things for which I don't have the words. That is exciting to me.

This entire book was a departure for me, from the simplistic style, that I have tried to relegate to something less then "real art" to the concept of doodling as valuable. I really got that my prejudice about what artistic expression is "supposed" to look like has kept me from enjoying all the gifts. Violette did a terrific job of making all the techniques she introduced attainable. I finished reading confident I could employ everything she introduced. 

I give this book a hearty thumbs up rating! Novice picture journalers and experts alike will benefit from a perusal of this delightful book.

Violette's blog is also chock full of fun and inspiration, albeit she is currently on vacation and has a wrist in a cast. Do send her some well wishes if you get the chance!

Have you used Creative Prompts and/or will you be playing along with us this week?

Next Post: By popular demand, Workplace Creativity!

My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are exploring  Creativity. 
Next week is all about Passion



blog comments powered by Disqus

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails