Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Insanity of Pressure

CREATIVITY - The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc. [Creativity Week starts here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


My apologies up front if you have tuned in today for my "Creativity where you need it most" post. I had a glimpse of idea with that post, as I usually do but some how I've gotten myself all off track and I really don't like it very much. I'm going to keep it in my pocket and see if it comes to fruition a little later in the week! Does that ever happen to you? It has been happening  to me a lot lately. I mentioned yesterday that I feel like I am on the verge of something, creatively speaking, and  something is getting in my way. A fear as our guest blogger, Elizabeth has suggested



So today, I have decided  to debunk a myth about creativity. In my research for this week I ran into an article on Fast Company titled The 6 Myths Of Creativity. The article caught my eye and as I read it I realized I have spent my life in a creative trap and some of you may as well.


Number three on this list is "Time Pressure Fuels Creativity." Frankly I have lived by this idea. I think of myself as a "fly by the seat of my pants" type of gal who "works great under pressure." When I tell the story of my life there are a lot of "last minute saves" and "just in time" triumphs and I like the images that these ideas conjure up. I like to imagine I am on a quest, living a remarkable and interesting life even if the realities of being a stay at home mom can be far less inspiring. My perspective does provide an air of fun in my life but it may be hiding a fundamental truth. I do not fully engage with my circumstances.


This may actually be the key to the fear I've been avoiding! Eureka! As I am typing this it is suddenly clear that all my enthrall about the type of person I am has kept me from fully engaging with my problems. I count on the "squeak by" result and then am disappointed when it isn't fully satisfying. Great ideas require time. Forcing outcomes can require some creative maneuvering but it doesn't allow for the percolation of really outstanding breakthroughs. 


We have all heard the definition of insanity, doing the same things and expecting different results. I've been doing the "same things" my entire creative life and while this has netted me a delightful world view it has become hollow and incredibly unsatisfying. 


Whew! This is exciting. I really don't know what to say or do next. My normal way of reacting would be fierce concentration as I try to grab hold of the thread of inspiration. I now know this will only get me what I've gotten in the past so I must resist the temptation. I must try letting it be.  


I am on unstable ground here. I feel the fear. I feel the pull to act purposefully and I say no. Today I meander. Let's see what arises.


Has insanity creeped into your creative life too?


Next Post: Let's see what arises



My 13 bliss virtues are 
joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, 
romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.



This week we are exploring  Creativity. 
Next week is all about Passion
.

4 comments:

  1. BLissed-Out GrandmaJuly 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM

    Severe pressure forces one to take shortcuts and operate without reflection. No pressure at all CAN make some people waffle around and avoid decisions. Somwhere in between lies a happy medium!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insanity always invades my creative life. I actually thrive under pressure...so that is really insane. LOL Sometimes I go right down to the wire - and I can feel this intense energy surging through me. Guess I am a little crazy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been said that perfectionists procrastinate because then there is no time to second-guess. If you do a project with adequate time you have to trust your own process and decisions. Many don't or feel arrogant doing so. Rushing around at the last minute forces all those little decisions to get made, therefore fueling the "I'm better under pressure" talk. Great post and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this review, thanks for sharing it.Under pressure I am not able to make a right decision. But dealing with specific kinds of issues, yes, you could say..I'm better under pressure.
    Hope you have a great Friday!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails