Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Moxie study promised is interrupted by this Moxie update...

MOXIE - The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage; vigor; verve; pep. [Moxie week starts here. Scroll down this post for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]




In my quest to live my virtues, rather then just write about them, I decided to talk to my sixteen year old niece about Moxie. Today was her birthday and I was calling with those wishes but figured what the heck, I'd throw it in.


Me, "It is Moxie week on my blog."


Niece, "Moxie? What's that?"


Me, thinking, "is Moxie so old school she really never heard it? Damn' I feel old!" but still able to speak, "It is the ability to face difficulty in good spirits. Someone who has courage. I think you have Moxie."


Niece, "Really? Not sure that sounds like me."


Me, "You wouldn't let anyone take advantage of you would you?"


Niece, "No, I guess not."


Me, "Well that is Moxie and I think you have it!"


Niece, probably thinking, "How do I get out of this crazy conversation and get back to enjoying cake with my boyfriend?" brilliantly says, "Thanks Aunt Kaki, that's cool." and deftly moves to another topic, "So when am I going to see you again?"  


Yeah, she's got it but I guess there is some new hip word for it and since I don't know the cool texting lingo for it we'll never speak of it again. For the record, I hope to visit next month.


 Meanwhile back at the blog, I thought I was being very brave tossing out my Moxie challenge and then 12 hours later I hadn't heard a peep out of anyone. I couldn't believe it! You guys have spoiled me, I'm accustomed to having at least one or two little old comments but so far today there was nothing. Eek gads! Had I actually scared you all away by encouraging you to interact. I decided to stop obsessing and shut the computer. I spent the day imagining that no one left a comment and figuring out how to respond, with moxie. I was coming up pretty dry so I was terribly grateful to see that three of you did take time to comment, and with great ideas! So thank you! And as a result of the great input I am updating this week's Bliss Initiatives for those who want to play along:




  • Live with Moxie - Each day  do something unexpected and brave.  For example,  go out of the way to meet a neighbor, strike up a conversation with a stranger, offer my opinion on the website of someone I respect, rather then just reading and watching. Ask if there is a way to get a better deal when  shopping instead of unconsciously paying full price. In short  step outside of my/your comfort zone, create opportunities to be brave and speak up instead of quietly going about my/your business.
    • Study Moxie - I will research people who have displayed Moxie and I will read the book "Women of Courage: Inspiring Stories from the Women Who Lived Them" by Katherine Martin (I didn't finish it last time out!)  I will find inspiring quotes about courage and daring and share them here and with people in my life to inspire us to be more daring! Do the same and conduct your own moxie study!
    • Visualize Moxie -  From Nancy aka BLissed-Out Grandma  (who by the way is encouraged and welcome to contribute ideas ANYTIME - stop by her place for sage wisdom anytime you need it!) Picture three different situations, real or imaginary, and visualize yourself responding to these circumstances with real moxie.
      It could be a time when you wished you had had a better reaction, or a situation that you fear, or a scenario in which you grab the reins and lead someone to positive change.
      The more vivid and detailed, the better. And write down what you see yourself doing. Then later you can think about what would help you behave that way, or just visualize yourself in more situations that call for similar moxie!
    • Try it alone Contributed by Lisa over at LifeUnity (who you should become bloggy friends with too because she leaves lots of nice comments and has a really creative blog!) Do something you are generally more comfortable doing with others, fine dining, going to a movie, visiting an art gallery, whatever it is for you, and try doing it by yourself. Experience trepidation turning into chutzpah!



    Next post: Moxie study

    My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

    7 comments:

    1. I LOVE Lisa's suggestion! I started doing that a long time ago and it was a bit intimidating, but I had to do it so I did. Do you know how much fun it can be to walk into a restaurant and ask for a table for 1? Seriously. It's fun stuff! I'm not even kidding. It throws people off guard and you always get REALLY great service! It's totally worth it!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love this! I call it "chutzpah" but it's the same thing.

      I will have to think about the moxie challenge...

      Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. moxie is an interesting thing to consider. Thank you for your lovely ideas for how to embrace life with this spirit.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Totally blushing - but oomphing up the Moxie and saying THANK YOU! :)

      I had to laugh at your conversation with your niece -- she'll get it someday, and when she does, she'll remember what a cool aunt she has.

      Loving the Moxie challenge - definitely something I could use. Deep breath and HERE WE GO!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm only 29 - but as a therapist to teenagers, I might as well be ancient! Moxie is an excellent word! There isn't a better word. It is the bee's knees of words! :) Great challenge. By the way, I got a discount yesterday on a baby gift I purchased!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks for the kind words! I've been thinking about what I wrote in my comment, and I might repost it on my own blog because visualization works for many things. But I also love the fact that you are talking about moxie and how to get more of it!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Just tingling with all the love over here! Thank you everyone for playing with me!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

    Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

    Empire Building Kit

    Legal Stuff

    Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

    © Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

    Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

    • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
    • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
    • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
    • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
    • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
    • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
    • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
    • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
    • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
    • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
    • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
    • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
    • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails