Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Moxie can mean asking for a little help!

MOXIE - The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage; vigor; verve; pep.






OK so it has been Moxie week all day and I still haven't figured out what to do! Last time out I was interrupted by my trip to Hawaii. Not a bad interruption at all but it did mean that I didn't give Moxie the same consideration I would have liked.  For this reason I thought I'd start where I left off. I didn't really follow through on doing at least one brave thing each day so that is a good place to start. 


I have invited a true Moxie spirit to join me this week. Jingle over at Just Jingle has agreed to guest post on this week's Moxie topic and I couldn't be more thrilled! If you don't know Jingle yet you should run right over to her blog and say hello. She has a most inspiring and fun place. Look for that post this coming weekend. Don't worry I'll remind you! 


As I am writing this, hoping to actually get this post done before Monday is officially over I realized I DO KNOW what to do!  I am going to ask for help! You dear readers are my answer! If you are a regular reader, you know that each Monday I come up with my game for the week, in the form of  Bliss Initiatives which are designed to increase a persons experience of the weekly bliss virtue. Generally I like to have 3-5 initiatives with which to play around and then I tell you how it is going and by Sunday I report back and let you know my score for the week.  


At this moment I have two recycled Moxie "Bliss Initiatives."  I color coded them in purple for quick identification. They are specific things that you too can try, if you want to play along with me.  



  • Live with Moxie - Each day I will do something unexpected and brave.  For example, I will go out of my way to meet a neighbor, strike up a conversation with a stranger, offer my opinion on the website of someone I respect, rather then just reading and watching. I will ask if there is a way I can get a better deal when I am shopping instead of unconsciously paying full price. In short I will step outside of my comfort zone, I will create opportunities to be brave and speak up instead of quietly going about my business.
    • Study Moxie - I will research people who have displayed Moxie and I will read the book "Women of Courage: Inspiring Stories from the Women Who Lived Them" by Katherine Martin (I didn't finish it last time out!)  I will find inspiring quotes about courage and daring and share them here and with people in my life to inspire us to be more daring!
    •  Your Great Idea goes here! What would you do to encourage more moxie?

    I am looking for a couple more ideas to round out the inquiry this week so I thought I'd toss the question out to you. What do you think I should try? Do you remember a time in your life when Moxie was really present for you? What was it like, what were the characteristics and what were the things you did? I can't wait to hear what you have to say!


    Note: Images in this post are from Google Images -- query "Help"
    Next post: Moxie study

    My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

    5 comments:

    1. Wow, I've never tried to develop moxie in advance of a situation.... How about this: picture three different situations, real or imaginary, and visualize yourself responding to these circumstances with real moxie.

      It could be a time when you wished you had had a better reaction, or a situation that you fear, or a scenario in which you grab the reins and lead someone to positive change.

      The more vivid and detailed, the better. And write down what you see yourself doing. Then later you can think about what would help you behave that way, or just visualize yourself in more situations that call for similar moxie!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oooh - fun and nerve-wrecking all at the same time!

      I love Jingle - can't wait to see her post on this!!

      Hmmm... I actually am in the midst of a SARK book and this post (and Moxie - love it! -)reminded me of something she suggested. It relates to your first idea, but basically going out and doing something (or many things) by yourself that you wouldn't otherwise do. See a movie, eat at a fancy restaurant, ...

      It isn't really facing difficulty, per se, but certainly could be overcoming a fear - which is difficult in itself!

      Best of luck!

      ReplyDelete
    3. This is my first time here. What an interesting idea for a blog!

      As for ideas on how to explore Moxie, I admit to a blank. If it was me I'd stop at your two. I guess I don't have much moxie.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Marilyn, you have got to be kidding! Have you not been reading your own blog??? You have a ton of Moxie!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thank you for this wonderful dose of Bliss. I need it today.

      Dropped in from SITS to wish you a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

    Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

    Empire Building Kit

    Legal Stuff

    Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

    © Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

    Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

    • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
    • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
    • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
    • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
    • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
    • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
    • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
    • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
    • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
    • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
    • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
    • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
    • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails