Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chocolate bunnies and the Humility week tally

HUMILITY - The quality or condition of being humble; imitate Jesus and Socrates. [Humility week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


Bunny from Moonstruck Chocolates YUM!


Yesterday evening my husband, daughter and I went out to dinner in a little near by village. After dinner we happened into a fun candy shop where my almost 3 year old was allowed to pick one treat for dessert. She chose a small chocolate rabbit. As we left the store there was a little girl having a total meltdown on the sidewalk. The girls parents were doing their best to keep the screaming thrashing child out of harms way. Jessie was not phased by the girl's tantrum and walked over to her and asked if she wanted her chocolate. Apparently this is just what the girl needed. The interrupt stopped her cold and while she didn't want Jessie's half eaten chocolate she calmed down considerably. 


I was so proud of my girl. Willing to part with her chocolate, wanting to help someone in need. It was pretty terrific.  Now I'm not sure I want her to run into the line of fire of every incident she sees but I love that her instincts to try and help were there. And if humility actually equals doing what is needed she is well on her way!


I on the other hand am still struggling. This week ended up being a lot of religious introspection for me rather then a purer study of the virtue itself.  When I wrote that post about my relationship with Jesus I was hoping to reach a point where Jesus could be considered as a model for humility without the religious trappings associated with his personality. Instead I think I just stirred up a bunch of religious feelings that may have gotten in the way of discovering the virtue as intended. To avoid this trap, next humility week I think I will try concentrating on Socrates as my expert!


On to my score for the week: I did a passable job of considering each of my bliss virtues so I will give myself a 5 out of 10. In considering my overall increase of Bliss I will give my self two bliss boosts. My introspection got a little heavy but I do think it has me poised to take next humility week by storm! That is if the virtue can be considered a tempest. Anyway, I am looking forward to what the next Humility week will hold.


Thank you to everyone who jumped in and played this week. I enjoy my little game but I totally adore it when I know you are out there following along and I really appreciate all the lovely comments. Keep 'em coming! Next week I am coming up on the six month anniversary of my project so in addition to my usual banter on the virtue at hand, I will be recapping my overall results so far and (hopefully -- still working on it!) revealing my new scoring system. It is SURPRISE week so there should also be more then a few unexpected treats for you.


Next Post: SURPRISE!!!

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet!!! It's just too cute that she was willing to give up her chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility is one of those things the Taoists have down, literally. They believe that water is the most powerful force in nature because it occupies the lowest, most humble places. So many people associate humility with weakness when, in fact, it gives you strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping in late from Friday Follow.
    I'm your new follower ;)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails