Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Time to consult an expert. Jesus' brand of Humility.

HUMILITY - The quality or condition of being humble; imitate Jesus and Socrates. [Humility week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]


Before I get started on today's post I have some exciting news to share! Fresh on the heels of the wildly successful guest post from Jingle last week I have enlisted the help of another bloggy friend to comment on Humility. I asked the hubby if he was interested and he said, "Not my area of expertise." LOL  seriously I actually picked someone who I think does have expertise. If you have ever been over to BLissed-Out Grandma, aka Nancy's blog you know what I mean. She has a grace and kind welcoming way about her and then you read some of the things she has done in her life and you start thinking, "Damn, I just want to be her!" Truly you are in for a treat tomorrow.


A couple of days ago I said it was time to consult an expert on humility. Jesus is the expert I have chosen. Ben Franklin picked him as someone to model his behavior on so that alone would convince me he is a good choice but I have my personal reasons as well. Yesterday I let you know about my extensive study and reflection on him and my personal conclusion that he was likely no more or less human then all of us but no matter if you consider him an interesting historical figure or the actual son of God he still provides an excellent example of a humble life.


My absolute favorite example of Jesus' humility is pictured here:


"In Humility" by Simon Dewey


For those of you who don't know Jesus' story in much detail, here we see Jesus washing the feet of his disciples mere hours before he is going to be taken into custody and hung from a cross to die. At this point in time Jesus knew he likely wouldn't see any of these people again and even though he was their leader he took time to wash their feet.  Think about that. Could you imagine any of our world leaders washing our feet? Particularly one who was pretty certain they were going to meet a firing squad in the morning?


It is truly remarkable. Even in the last hours of his life this man choose to teach humility. In his time it was customary for disciples to wash the feet of their leaders so it was quite shocking for Jesus to use his own clothing as a towel and to invite his followers to have their feet washed. The story as told by John, 13:1-17 in the Bible, shows that Peter, one of Jesus' followers, did not want Jesus to wash his feet. It didn't feel right to him.  This was exactly the humility point Jesus was teaching in this moment.


No person no matter their stature should be exempt from doing what is needed. Any lowly job that fulfills a need is worthy of your attention. Carry this insight over into modern life and think about the things you are not willing to do. You see a piece of garbage in the parking lot at the grocery store. Do you pick it up? You are a citizen in this town. You even like a trash free parking lot but I would wager a guess that most of us wouldn't think about picking it up. "I don't want to touch it. There are people who work here who can do it." we think as we step over it.  Imagine the difference if we all took full responsibility for the world around us. If Jesus were here he would pick it up.


Looking at it this way Humility seems rather simple. 


Humility equals do what is needed


I actually think I can do that. Of course I'll have to confront my own self interests all the way... is it convenient for me to do it? Will anyone notice, in a good or bad way, if I do it? Do I want to do it? Gosh, it may not be that easy after all but, at least for today, if I see a piece of trash in a parking lot I will pick it up.


Next Post: Eating Humble Pie by Blissed-Out Grandma


********


And now, perhaps in direct contradiction to the humility I am discussing, I have decided to jump in and try a thing called Friday Follow to shamelessly promote my little blog! If you are interested in finding fun new blogs and sharing your little piece of cyberspace why don't you join us!
















MckLinky Blog Hop

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise

10 comments:

  1. Great blog, I can not wait to read more. What a great idea, can't wait to explore some of these virtues of everyday bliss.

    Angela
    http://debatethisponderthat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a lovely post :)

    following u from FF! Feel free to visit me here:
    Life Can't Wait and Up Now and What's Next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm....do what is needed. That is a new take on humility and I think I like it. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new friday follower! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Friday Follow and WOW what a great blog. Am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! And such a calming blog header too!

    Thanks for popping by and the Friday Follow! I'm a follower now, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post. You're my upstairs neighbor today on SITS so stopped by to borrow a cup of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Hopping in from Friday Follow (on Saturday-lol) I'm your newest follower. I'd love for you to come follow me!

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    http://www.groschengoblins.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a new follower! I really need to work on humility in my life. I'm working to be more like Jesus. When you get a chance stop by and say hello on my blog.
    http://giveawaysforyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!

    We came across your site through the FF and decided to follow your blog. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts. Come on over and visit us when you get a free moment. Have a fabulous day! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails