Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

"The Creativity Book" update... or how to actually get moving on a project.

CREATIVITY - The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc. [Creativity week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

I crack myself up.  Yesterday I wrote:

Next Post: An update from my work with "The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance" by Eric Maisel which I started last creativity week.

The part that is making me laugh is "update from my work" which sounds like I have been working away on the Creativity Book. When I picked it up 13 weeks ago and made it the reference book for my last creativity week I was inspired by the 365 day approach and really felt it would be something I would be able to integrate into my daily life. Well, not so much, as the saying goes. I did complete the first assignment to write my autobiography but that was it, until today!

Assignment 1a was the Autobiography. 1b is to distinguish the 5 things that get in the way of my being creative.  So let me give it a go now...

  • No Time is the gimme answer. And I suppose that it must be true since I haven't made/taken time to get further along in the book. (I do have another idea, more about that later.)
  • Needing it to be PERFECT - I think that is my biggest block. I am regularly disappointed that the creation in my head rarely comes close in reality.
  • Because I can't draw realistically my creative stuff doesn't count. Hopefully I can learn something from Tim Burton (see yesterday's post) here.
  • Creativity is "fun stuff" and I have more serious things to worry about. 
  • Afraid no one will like what I produce. I'm vain, I want you to like it too!
So there they are the 5 things that stand in the way of my creativity.  Eric didn't do anything further, as far as I have read, with these five things so you too have a chance to work on your list before I am likely to discuss them again. Heck you probably have 13 weeks on my current schedule! If your creative intentions are more burning then this snails pace, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of the book and begin at your own speed!


Image found at Epic Self

Ahhhh, doesn't that photo ooze peacefulness. I found it on the Epic Self website which is recommending daily meditation. It is a symbol for the kind of calm I envision when I FINALLY start my own meditation practice. We have talked about this before, and now The Creativity Book is back to it : Excercise 2 - craft one ceremony. I read the words again. It sounds so simple. A little tea, three or four minutes... he is not asking me to jump into a 30 minute per day practice but still I resist.

My reluctance to follow this simple advice is a convenient block to my getting through the rest of the book. I set out to do all the excercises as laid out and I keep getting stuck here.  When I look at my life I can see a window of opportunity in the morning for this ritual weekday mornings and if I take the time to enroll Rob in the idea I really should be able to carve out 5 minutes before bedtime.

OK damn it. This is the last time I am going to lament not having done this. I'm off to make some tea.

Next Post: Creative Prompt Day!

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise
blog comments powered by Disqus

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails