Check out the New Blog Here!

Click on "Bliss Habits" and let me know what you think!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

You never know where an inquiry is going to go....

INQUIRY - a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge; study, scrutiny, exploration. [Inquiry week begins here. Click for this week's Bliss Initiatives.]

Welcome Magic Carpet Riders! Looking for my One World One Heart Giveaway? Click here to go to my open house post and the giveaway! 

The One World One Heart event is primarily designed for the artist and crafter community.  Everyone has been extremely welcoming to me  and I think it may be fun for many to happen on a "different type of blog" on their blog hop but Everyday Bliss doesn't fit the same profile  as most of the other participants. As a relatively new blogger (start date  9/14/09), I had never heard of this type of event and even though I am not a typical participant I was very excited to join in. I figured what could it hurt? Who knows, I might even win something. Well we haven't even gotten to the "winning" part of the event (you have until February 15 to check out the more the 1000 participating blogs and join the fun) and I feel like I have hit the jackpot. I've met so many lovely people. I feel I am well on my way to making some great new friends and suddenly more then 50 people are following my blog. It has been amazing.

Participating in this event engendered my curiosity about similar events. Is Lisa, aka A Whimsical Bohemian, who came up with the idea, the only one doing such a thing? What about different kinds of blogs? Are there different events, contests or giveaways happening there too? Ah ha! This is exactly the type of Inquiry I wanted! What about other blogs like mine? 

Turns out that the blogs like mine question was more difficult then I expected. Are there other people conducting experiments like mine? What "TYPE" of blog is mine? When I started this project it was designed as a one year experiment. Sort of a 365 day type project. So I started there. It turns out that 365 day projects are quite numerous but for the most part that type of experiment is about doing a specific something every day . Draw a picturecook in your crockpotwear a brown dress, and the most common of these take a photo every day. My friend Elisa is doing her own 365 photo project, see her's here or in the Everyday Bliss sidebar. These  endeavors are interesting and laudable but still resonate as a bit different then mine.

I'm not doing any ONE thing each day, except to hopefully increase my experience of bliss. In addition to keeping me honest (making a public promise in the blog to play this game keeps me following through) I am hopeful that my blog provides inspiration to others and that a community of people who support and encourage each other  might develop over time.  Since I have based my experiment loosely on Ben Franklin's I thought perhaps there were other versions of that experiment. I did find an interesting quiz and many refer to his experiment and suggest following the ideas but I didn't really find anything like my experiment. Besides, I went and made up all my own virtues and have a completely different scoring system so mine is actually quite unique. 

My friend Jeff has been doing a Julie/Juliet kind of thing with Martha Stewart in his My Year of Cooking Fabulously but I don't think he has any great designs on developing a cooking blog community, but then again who knows, with his recent appearance on Martha Stewart's show perhaps he'll be getting his own show!  The closest thing to my blog is probably Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, although her year long experiment is already complete and has written a best selling book about the experience . So she isn't likely interested in playing any blog games to boost her blog's traffic. 

I just realized that while my little inquiry has netted no new blog fests to try it has led me to my own personal ambition to create a vibrant online community. I really have no idea what that looks like or even what I should be doing, except continuing my project and seeing where it leads. Community is next weeks virtue so it is a perfect place to continue this inquiry!




Next post: Inquiry week comes to close

My 13 bliss virtues: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, surprise
blog comments powered by Disqus

Start Building YOUR Empire Today!

Empire Building Kit

Legal Stuff

Bottom Line: Don't steal. Stealing isn't nice and it is also illegal.

© Kathy Sprinkle and Everyday Kathy, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Everyday Kathy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues

  • 1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  • 2. SILENCE - Speak not what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  • 3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  • 4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  • 5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e. waste nothing.
  • 6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  • 7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  • 8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  • 9. MODERATION - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  • 10. CLEANLINESS - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths or habitation.
  • 11. TRANQUILITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  • 12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or to the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  • 13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails